Why do you think veteran’s make outstanding entrepreneurs?

“General quarters, general quarters! All hands man your battle stations!” This is the announcement made aboard a naval warship to signal that all hands aboard a ship must go to battle stations as quickly as possible.

PREPAREDNESS. No stage is too big for Veterans.

From Day 1 of Boot Camp, the military began preparing us for combat. Nothing in the workforce is more daunting than combat. Risk taking, self-confidence, commitment, motivation, determination, time management, and the allocation of resources are seen in both war and business. Education only teaches theory so when you combine that with real-life circumstances, what you have is an individual who is well-prepared for entrepreneurship.

Veteran-owned franchise businesses in the U.S. directly provide jobs for over 1 million Americans, and these businesses generate more than $50 billion in GDP.

How do you transition from the service to the world of business?

Make no mistake, transitioning from the military to civilian life and into business is no easy task. Before I was discharged, I took a class that helped veterans transition. They matched your military skills and translated them into civilian jobs. They helped with resume writing and interview skills. However, that was not enough. Today, there are organizations like Vets 22, which help Veterans transition by using an eco-system approach through web & mobile applications. Think of it as the LinkedIn, Facebook, and VA for Veterans rolled into one. Vets 22 provides a one-stop solution for veterans and their families to navigate the waters of a transitioning veteran. I am proud to serve as Executive Director.

What inspired you to become a Vetrepreneur?

I was born for this! All the skills I mentioned earlier prepared me for entrepreneurship. For inspiration and motivation, I draw upon my ancestors. Being of African & Scottish descent, I come from a long history of military veterans. It is in our blood. Furthermore, I currently have a son in the Army serving in Afghanistan.