Hey, Jacksonville Beach, prepare now because there’s definitely something big brewing at the beach, as two local breweries are ready to make waves with new beer releases over the weekend!
GREEN ROOM BREWING
Green Room Brewing has reached yet another brewery milestone: its 1200th batch of beer! To celebrate every 100th batch, the brewery bottles a beer with a numbered “Beer Storm.” This time around, it’s the 1200 Beer Storm, a Double IPA brewed with orange blossom honey, and dry-hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Expect citrus flavors, with piney, earthy, and floral characters. The new beer will be on tap and in a limited number of bottles, beginning at noon on April 8. If you’re familiar with a Green Room bottle release, you already know that bottles go “thisfast.” This is one Storm that you don’t want to miss!
The previous 1100 Beer Storm, an 8.8 ABV Double IPA dry-hopped with Citra and Mosaic hops, was released last fall. Prior to that, the release of Thousand Beer Storm, a smooth 11 ABV Triple IPA brewed with Gallberry Honey and Citra hops, coincided with Green Room’s 5th Anniversary last June. Take a look at last year’s anniversary preview story. Green Room Brewing is already looking ahead to the Return of Quetzalcoatl, its Imperial Mayan Red Ale aged in tequila barrels on May 6, and its 6th Anniversary in June, which will feature the annual release of its Secret Spot brew.
Green Room Brewing is located at 228 Third St. North.
SOUTHERN SWELLS BREWING CO.
It was just about a year ago to the day that news of Southern Swells Brewing first hit the social media waves (read the first preview story published about it here). Following renovation and construction of its new home on Beach Blvd., the brewery’s tap room opened at the end of January, featuring 20 taps of Florida beer from breweries around the state. Brewery operations hummed along in the background as the brewery’s 10-barrel brewhouse was put to work and then began brewing what will be the first set of house beers to take over part of the tap wall.
On Saturday, April 8, the long-awaited and anticipated Southern Swells beers will be available on tap for full pours for the first time beginning at noon.
And …. straight from Brewers Corey Adams and Jay Varney, here’s the lineup of the new beers:
- Lyla Joan: A floral, spicy and refreshing farmhouse style with hints of cracked pepper;
- Lees and Thank You: Light, crisp wheat beer dosed with a healthy amount of mango. (A small way to say thank you to a good friend who has played a big role in getting us to this point.)
- Karate in the Garage: A fresh, juicy hop bomb, with Mosaic lupulin powder…and lots of it.
- Twisted Bine: Malt meet hops. An Imperial Red IPA with malty flavor designed to stand up to the almost 4 lbs per barrel of Columbus and Amarillo.
- Interrupting Cow: Milk stout aged on cacao nibs and vanilla beans.
- One Legged Duck: Rotating hop pale ale. Round 1: CITRA.
- Not the Gumdrop Buttons: Berliner Weisse style refermented on blueberries and raspberries. Pucker up!
- In a Galaxy Really Really Close By: Northeast-style IPA brewed with Galaxy and Citra hops. This one bursts out of the glass.
It’s probably a good thing that Southern Swells has all that space at their place, because … that tap list.
Starting Monday, April 10, Southern Swells will extend its hours and open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 4-10pm. Southern Swells Brewing Co. is located at 1312 Beach Blvd.
What a weekend it’s going to be in Jax Beach!
Linda Johnson, Certified Cicerone®
Covering Florida’s beer scene and locally around North Florida
(photos by Linda Johnson; unless otherwise credited)
(republished in part from www.brewnymph.com)